I have recovered mostly from the vertigo and sickness suffered over the weekend. Still feel uneasy, but much better than the worst moments.
On Friday night, I talked to the doctor at UPenn, and he confirmed a recommendation that I undergo another biopsy to see if progress has been made. He began a long conversation about a bone marrow transplant that might not be possible because of my prostate cancer. Apparently in some cases with such cancers, a transplant is not recommended or useful.
Beyond that, if they do think I am eligible, I would have to decide what to do. I have read good and bad stories about bone marrow transplants. Just last week, a friend who lost a close relative to a different cancer said, “don’t hesitate to try anything.” And there is the rub. Do I?
I lost 3 days of a good life this weekend. Today, I don’t feel all together. I don’t like that. Yes, I am alive, but I will have to decide what kind of a life I want for up to a year (that is the time I am told that is necessary for the new marrow to take) with chances of complete failure. Do I instead, live from transfusion to transfusion, enjoying life in between and see how far I am able to go?
I will be looking to understand the statistical “spread” of results.
No need to make any decisions yet until the results of the biopsy and perhaps a few more treatment cycles are completed. Nevertheless, that time is coming, and I am fine with having to consider those choices.
The first step IF I chose transplant will be finding a donor, and that will not be easy.
Otherwise, as I have stepped away several times to complete this post, I feel much better. Part of the problem might have been clogged sinuses. The nurse recommended some over the counter medicine, and that seems to have worked for now. Other reasons for stomach ailment include the treatments. That is well documented as a side-effect.
To be continued…